GoPro HERO9 (Boilers) was just released. There are some significant hardware changes notably the new sensor-lens combo, WiFi-Bluetooth chipset, front LCD, and a higher power density battery. However, most of the power comes from software enhancements.
Although not a physical teardown, we're able to extrapolate everything from the camera's firmware updates. Logs and such will be posted on our GitHub Repo as our research continues.
The following are are the major changes from the GoPro HERO8:
- Finally a new 24 megapixel sensor using the Sony IMX677 1/2.3 sensor. Sorry, still no 1" sensor.
- Replaceable lens cover and "Max SuperMax" new lens for larger Field of View (FOV) Codenamed "Hemicuda". Loris is the new lens manufacturer.
- 5.3K @ 30fps video with Hypersmooth 3.0
- 20MP photos. No longer 8 or 12MP now named "Wide, Linear, Natural, or SuperMax"
- Complete microphone mechanical redesign. Should allow for much better audio in windy situations and quicker water drain. See the new wide Microphone recess below the mode button.
- Front facing liveview enabled color LCD in addition to upgraded rear LCD. Front facing LCD is not touch enabled.
- Hypersmooth 3.0 - Added stabilization. Maybe a punch out from an even wider FOV lens like we see with the HERO mode on the GoPro MAX.
- Still uses custom Socionext SC2000A aka GP1. Linux Kernel now is aware of the multiple cores although it may not be able to use them.
- Updated MIMO enabled WiFi & Bluetooth module for faster download and 1080P streaming
- "Hindsight" Option - Always recording a 5 to 10 seconds before you press record.
- Webcam support in mainline updates
- Possible deep sleep for super long timelapses.
- PowerPano automatic leveling panoramic.
- Battery, USB, and card access door redesigned. (See added tab on battery below). Battery & USB-C positions the same.
- Whole new bigger battery with new check in security enclave preventing cloned "blue top batteries" from working correctly. GoPro promotes 30% more battery life average over all modes.
The GoPro HERO9 is significantly bigger and heavier than the HERO8. However, the 32 grams should not affect skydivers necks all that much. Below is the comparison chart.
|GOPRO HERO9||GOPRO HERO8|
Code Names & IDS
Logo from GoPro Inc. Matches Image Renders
Socionext SC2000A custom (GP1)
"GoPro GP1" processor (M9M)
Cortex A7 hardware Floating Point / CEVA DSP / Cortex M0 coprocessor
|High performance 2x2 dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO and Bluetooth 4.2 radios in a single-chip solution.|
|Diagonal 7.85 mm (Type 1/2.3) CMOS Image Sensor with Square Pixel for Color Cameras. 23.91 M effective Pixels. SLVS interface|
|Analogix ANX7816||Slimport Transceiver to Media Mod. HDMI still not built in on GoPro HERO9.|
|Bosch BMI260 IMU||Accelerometer / Gyro pair 6-axis sensor.|
|UBlox UBX-M8030-CT||GPS Receiver u-blox M8 GNSS chip, WL-CSP47, Standard grade. New gpio for LNA feedback.|
|Active Semi ACT9150||
PMIC (Power Management IC) for Socionext.
Power supply, charging, and LED control
|TI TPS62866||Additional 0.9V regulator. Replaces ACT88326 on GoPro HERO8.|
|Rear LCD, 16.7M-color (368px by 552px)|
|Rear Touch sensor 368px by 552px|
|Sitronix st7796h||Front LCD 320RGB x 480 dot 262K Color|
|No longer present in system|
|Loris + Hemicuda||Lens Codename. Loris is the manufacturer
Hyper Smooth(HemiCuda) which is the GoPro Supermax add-on
|Microchip SAM L22||
USB-C PD / Accessory Sentinel / Battery Authentication / Reset Handler / RTC
64Kb Encrypted bootloader & app
Still authenticates Battery and SHA204 as before
Need to confirm, but believe they are no longer using the FUSB302 PD controller, but still FUSB variant. Possibly 0x3D device id.
|NXP PCF85063A||Real Time Clock attached to SAM L22. May be a fake device.|
|Pericom PI3USB9281||Protecting against bad chargers, detecting power, usb pin muxing.|
|DSP Group DBMD4||"Ultra Low Power Always-On Voice Activation for Any Device" Audio DSP pre-processor. Firmware is the same.|
1720mAh Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
TI SN27Z562 Fuel Gauge and authentication chip
Li Ion 1720mAh
Checks "Certified by GoPro" Device Name & "Genuine TI SN27Z562" Manufacturer Name which is new
All we request is you link this article as a source!
Thank you! - Hypoxic Team
LEGAL: This product and/or service is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or in any way associated with GoPro Inc. or its products and services. GoPro, HERO, and their respective logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of GoPro, Inc. HEROBUS and BACPAC are trademarks of GoPro Inc.